Monday, November 02, 2009

7.5 Tons from the World Trade Center…

ship Reporting from the service plaza on I-90 the Northwest Tollway Belvidere IL headed to Little Falls MN with a hazmat load of roofing. If you’re new to the “flush” via Twitter or Facebook – FYI - I don’t write this blog from some office somewhere – I’m on the road and on the job in the truck, usually out 30-40 days at a time. Although I’m typically driving 10+ hours a day, besides writing and editing the posts, I’m doing my best to try and improve the blogger – twitter – facebook interface. For now, consider it a work in progress and I appreciate your patience.

Ok, before I tell you about the USS New York, I received an e-mail from the DOT, more specifically, the FMCSA, informing me they have reviewed my application for a public affairs position, but regrettably have selected someone else. Really? I think about a year ago, when I had some down time on the road between loads, I tried to fill out an on line application for a job with the FMCSA, who in my opinion, is in desperate need of real truck drivers to do whatever the FMCSA. The process of applying online was to put it mildly – arduous – bordering on terrible. What they asked for would be impossible for me to put together. Being 54 years old, I simply cannot precisely account for what is about 33 years of work experience, almost all of it in transportation. After three hours, I just said screw it and forgot about it.

I almost forgot the best part. It took me almost 45 minutes to come up with an acceptable personal password “code” to get back on line to check on my application. It was absurd. Typical government bureaucracy. I almost didn’t get past this step. I wrote the long code down somewhere and have since lost it. There was no way I could get back on line to do anything further with the application. And now, today, out of the blue, comes this e-mail that they found someone else. Whatever you say FMCSA – you did a suburb job on reviewing nothing about me. I hope you don't’ select all your employees this way. Too bad, because I could have done a lot for you. Onward and upward I say.

Let’s move on to the USS New York, which before today, when I heard about it on Sirius/XM, I knew nothing about. Right from their website: “At approximately 8:00 a.m., on November 2, the future USS NEW YORK will come to a standstill across from the World Trade Center site, dip her flag, and deliver a 21-gun salute. Members of the Fire Department of New York, the New York Police Department, Port Authority Police, members of the families of 9/11 victims and veterans will gather on the shore at the North Cove in the World Financial Center to return the salute. The new US Navy vessel is built with 7.5 tons of steel from the World Trade Center in her bow.

I don’t want to bore you with a lot of Tom Clancy-ish facts and figures, but the NY is a fascinating vessel. For more information follow this link: https://www.pms317.navy.mil/ and http://www.ussny.org/