Friday, November 06, 2009

Back in Schaumberg IL…

IMG00621 to pick up a load of steel headed to Dallas TX for delivery Monday. Frankly, I don’t feel like getting out of the truck in damn cold, which is only made worse by the wind, to do anything. The shipper I’m at doesn’t know what a clock is and tells drivers to be here at a certain time then makes them sit as long as 24 hours waiting on a preloaded trailer. At least I have food in the truck. The cold makes me hungry as a bear.

I have a new post over on Wayne Weisser’s blog LIFE ON THE ROAD. I urge you to head over there and post your comments on what I had to say about the Ft. Hood tragedy. I call it “Could it happen in trucking?” Just as I got to Schaumberg – see the photo – a little friend of mine came over to visit. He kept looking at me and gave me a kind of Roman Army salute. “He” made a little fist and put his “arm” with the clenched fist over his “chest.” Like I said I have food in the truck but no nuts. I don’t “he” would have wanted a roast beef and cheese sub. It’s funny – earlier today when I was in a Menard’s, I was looking right at a can of cheap cashews. I don’t know why I looked at it, but I decided not to buy it. Then my friend shows up. There is a reason for everything. 

Speaking of Menard’s – have you ever been in one? Amazing. I had a blast. I have never seen so many work gloves in extra large sizes. This place is so much better than Lowe’s or Home Depot. When I got there last night – I had a load of roofing for them – I parked across the street at the Target – my appointment was for the next morning at 0600. A young woman came up to the truck – I thought she was a you know what – and said: “Sir, if you like, we can unload you know so you don’t have to wait until the morning.” They had the load off in 10 minutes, the paperwork processed and I was in and out of there in a 1/2 hour. So damn efficient. I love it! I need a Menard’s to open up in the Tampa Bay area.